Town of Oakville
Work Order Technician
Reporting to the Traffic Operations Supervisor, and working closely with all Traffic Operations and Stores staff, the Work Order Technician is responsible for Traffic work order management including: the creation of work orders, data entry and systems maintenance; monitoring of work order status; identifying and coordinating resolution of exceptions to the work order process; and maintaining traffic asset records in the corporate asset management system. The Work Order Technician will also provide support to the Supervisor and Manager of Traffic Operations to set-up and continually improve the work order management system including performance reports.
- Coordinates scheduling of third party contracted services for utilization of vac-tuck equipment, and processes invoices for same.
- Utilizes a computerized system environment to perform data entry and data search using the corporate asset management system, Microsoft Office Suite, and other programs as may be required.
- Works closely with the Supervisor, Lead Hands and Technologists; plans, schedules, produces and distributes detailed daily work orders and weekly maintenance schedules for the Supervisor and Lead Hands to distribute work to Traffic Operations staff accordingly.
- Liaises with Traffic Operations staff, Stores staff , Asset Management staff and other departments to enhance processes related to work order management and provide recommendations for improvement where appropriate.
- Assists the Supervisor, Lead Hands , Technologists and customers to coordinate preventative maintenance and repair.
- Creates work orders for Traffic Operations staff on demand to support unplanned work.
- Searches the database to identify work orders requiring approvals and monitors approval process following up as necessary.
- In consultation with the Supervisor and Lead Hands, continually monitors and tracks planned and unplanned shop workflow; responsible for monitoring work schedules and taking corrective action when devaitions from schedules occur.
- Creates/modifies accurate traffic control devices and equipment records, preventative maintenance schedules, warranty tracking, model work orders and maintenance work order records to support the management of Traffic assets.
- Update and add assets into corporate asset management system.
- Meets regularly with the Asset Management team
- Enters daily time from work orders to weekly payroll spreadsheets for approval by the Supervisor.
- Continually monitors and updates work order status, validates all completed work submissions for documentation, completeness, identifies exceptions to process, notifies the Supervisor, and coordinates resolution by taking necessary action, as directed by the Supervisor.
- Produces, generates and distributes reports (including reports to support liability claims) from the corporate asset management system as required/requested or scheduled.
- Researches and obtains vendor quotations for Traffic Operations where required; uses established corporate procedures to enter purchase order requests, obtain approvals, issue, monitor, expedite, complete and receive all purchase orders for such goods, equipment and services to complete work orders; and ensures required notations are transcribed on work orders.
- Maintains effective, helpful relations with staff, vendors and other departments ensuring ethical compliance with purchasing practices and policies.
- Assists the Supervisor and Manager to develop and maintain procedural manual.
- Maintains clean, organized desk and manual files with proper labeling.
- Transmits messages through public address(PA), Town’s wireless, email and fax systems as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of Grade 12 plus successful completion of fundamentals of materials and operations management program and/or course credits towards certification in production and inventory management (CPIM) or related education.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working with computerized maintenance systems searching, entering, analyzing and conciling work order data and financial records,preferably in traffic operations, municipal road or provincial highway infrastructure maintenance operation.
- Familiarity with traffic signs and signals components and terminology or equivalent required.
- High level proficiency with computerized maintenance management systems (preferably JD Edwards including Reportsnow functions) and Microsoft Office Suite ( particularly Excel ) is required.
- Demonstrated understanding of work order management concepts, numerical and data management aptitude required.
- Must possess an understanding of Traffic safety standards, CVOR requirements, Municipal Act, Highway Traffic Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, WHIMS and other related standard and legislative requirements.
- Demonstrated effective organizational, communication, both oral and written, customer service (public and staff) and problem solving skills.
- Proficient time management skills and an ability to multi-task are essential.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team.
- Must hold and provide a copy of a valid and unrestricted Ontario Driver’s License Class G minimum (standard and automatic transmission) with a driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behaviour. Note: Applicants with 6 or more points are ineligible for consideration
- The successful applicant, who is a new hire, will be required to provide the Corporation with a current drivers abstract (no older than 30 days) and pass a Town administered road test prior to assuming the position.
To apply for this job please visit tre.tbe.taleo.net.