City of Portland, OR
Human Resources Systems Analyst – Temporary
Full Job Description
The City of Portland’s Bureau of Human Resources is seeking a Human Resources Systems Analyst to work on the Human Resources (HR) and Payroll Services Team.
This team manages the City’s SAP HCM system and is responsible for ensuring that the City’s biweekly payroll and HR processes are executed correctly in order to pay approximately 8,000 employees in 10 bargaining units. Payroll is processed according to federal, state and local wage and hour laws and the city’s labor
The Bureau of Human Resources has a supportive and diverse workforce that values teamwork and strives for high-quality service through knowledgeable, helpful, and responsive interactions with it’s customers. The Human Resources System Analyst performs a variety of difficult and specialized technical activities related to the use of Human Resource systems to accomplish HR business processes.
Incumbents perform day to day operational functions, such as reviewing transactions to ensure they comply with all applicable rules, regulations and system requirements, administering centrally managed data systems, and providing guidance or advice on business rules and processes to system users. Incumbents also are expected to research/investigate system and operational errors, gather and document business process requirements, make recommendations on business processes, including process improvements, and develop and execute test scripts for HR system changes, and participate in meetings in support of labor contract negotiations as required.
Functional areas supported by Human Resources Systems Analyst include City-wide Position Management, Time Management, Organization Management, Personnel Administration, and / or other inter-related functions.
City of Portland Core Values:
Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
Why work at the City of Portland?
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of October 18, 2021, all City employees must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. This is required for all positions at the City of Portland. Proof of being fully vaccinated is required by date of hire. You may request an exception, for health or religious reasons, from getting the COVID-19 vaccine at the time a position is offered.
Applicants must specifically address and demonstrate in their resume and cover letter how their education, training and/or experience, meets each of the following minimum qualifications. Any combination of education and experience that is equivalent to the following minimum qualifications is acceptable:
- Progressively responsible experience in HR and Payroll systems support.
- Experience interpreting and implementing rules and laws in an environment that has overlapping and complex interconnected human resources policies, multiple labor contracts, and pay practices and procedures.
- Significant experience reading, applying, explaining, and reaching sound decisions in
- accordance with HR laws, regulations, rules, contracts, procedures, and policies.
- Experience developing and documenting HR/Payroll processes that demonstrate logical and sound conclusions through data-driven analysis and gathering relevant legal and business requirements.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, orally, and in writing to diverse audiences of various sizes and technical skill levels.
Applicants must also possess:
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per City/State mandate or have an approved exception by date of hire.
An evaluation of each applicant’s training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and cover letter, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation for required certifications may be required prior to the establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
** PLEASE NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
Recruitment Activity Schedule:
- 1st Round of Interviews: TBD
- Job Offer: TBD
- Timeline is approximate and subject to change.
Applicants must submit a professional résumé and cover letter online specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the “To Qualify” section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
Your résumé and cover letter will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position.
- Your cover letter should include details describing your education, training, certification and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications and ability to meet the minimum requirements listed in the “To Qualify” section of this announcement.
- Your résumé should support the details described in the cover letter.
- Salary Range/Equity Pay Analysis: Please note per the Oregon State Pay Equity Law your salary is determined based on the experience and education listed in your resume/application. It is strongly encouraged to include any transferable experience (paid or unpaid regardless of how recent) to ensure your offer is reflective of all directly related and equivalent experience.
- If you are requesting Veterans’ Preference, as identified below, please describe in your cover letter any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the “To Qualify” section above.
- Do not attach documents not requested.
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Language Pay Differential: City of Portland employees who speak one or more languages in addition to English, may be eligible to receive a “language pay differential.” This is compensation for qualifying multilingual City employees who use their language skill to assist the community. More about the language pay differential can be found here.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.