Information Records & Data Manager
Full Job Description
Information Records & Data Manager, Nigeria
Location: Abuja, Sub Saharan Africa, NG
Company: British Council
The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language. We work in two ways – directly with individuals to transform their lives, and with governments and partners to make a bigger difference for the longer term, creating benefit for millions of people all over the world. We help young people to gain the skills, confidence and connections they are looking for to realise their potential and to participate in strong and inclusive communities. We support them to learn English, to get a high-quality education and to gain internationally recognised qualifications. Our work in arts and culture stimulates creative expression and exchange and nurtures creative enterprise. We connect the best of the UK with the world and the best of the world with the UK. These connections lead to an understanding of each other’s strengths and of the challenges and values that we share. This builds trust between people in the UK and other nations which endures even when official relations may be strained. We work on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2019-20 we connected with 80 million people directly and with 791 million overall, including online and through our broadcasts and publications.
Information Records & Data Manager, Nigeria
The Information Records & Data Manager will act in a dual role to support the British Council’s regulatory compliance and reputation by providing professional and business assurance particularly in the fields of:
- Data Protection and Compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Nigerian Data Protection Regulation (NDPR)
- Records Management
- Information Security & Governance
- Knowledge Management
Main accountabilities but not limited to the following:
Increasingly, as we engage with larger audience numbers and develop income-generating partnerships with partner organizations, we generate and handle larger amounts of data and information on our customers, our products, employees, and our partners. We need to ensure the protection of data, and minimize the risk associated with managing and holding information, while at the same time becoming more effective at utilizing and sharing it.
The priorities of this post are to:
- sustain standards, guidelines, and procedures aligned with good national and international practice and legislation to support efficiency and compliance within the business
- establish a robust governance structure for managing information risks and increase awareness about the risks we face, through briefings, trainings, and guidance
- increase the leverage of the British Council’s information assets for business use
- continue the work needed to achieve the required Country Information Assurance Maturity Model (CIAMM) framework maturity levels in Nigeria and ensure that measures to develop Information Governance & Security (IG&S) are embedded in the business.
The role will be responsible for ensuring the implementation of the agreed practices within Nigeria and collaborating with the Central Information Governance and Risk Management team, Group Data Protection Officer, and other Information Management Focal Points across Sub Sahara Africa. Acts as an intermediary between relevant stakeholders (e.g. supervisory authorities, data subjects, and business units within the organization).
- Ensure adherence to the GDPR and NDPR (the “Regulations”), relevant data privacy instruments, and data protection directives of the British Council
- Provide advice where requested as regards the data protection audits/impact assessment and monitor its performance
- Report to the Group Data Protection Officer on activities that impact the British Council’s compliance with the NDPR, GDPR, and global data protection policies.;
- Ensure records retention and disposal policy are applied in a way consistent with corporate policy
- Ensure security classifications are applied in a way consistent with corporate policy
- Maintain and control the development of a records classification plan
- Support teams in the setup of project information management plans and retention schedules
- Support Regional Information & M&E Advisor to develop and maintain close working relationships with the regional network of focal points
- Develop and implement a business recovery plan and support regional Information and M&E Advisor in developing a regional plan, working with relevant regional / country staff
- Support implementation of specific projects and related activities which support strategy development in areas of sensitivity and stringent regulation
Information Security and Governance:
- Ensure that security measures to protect personal data (for access, transfer, storage, and disposal) are in place
- Ensure that appropriate mechanisms are in place to control access to information
- Ensure that processes are in place to enable timely responses to requests from others for access to information
- Monitor data-sharing agreements with other organizations and work with colleagues to ensure adequate information assurance in the supply chain
- Keep up to date on Intellectual Property issues and policies relevant to the business
- Contribute to the implementation of projects in the field of information law by conducting research and providing ideas and guidance to the Nigeria team
- Support implementation of specific projects and related activities which support strategies for information risk aligned to business needs including the Tax & Status business case for Nigeria
- Ensure that Information Asset Owners and Information Asset Managers are kept professionally updated and informed and that development opportunities are offered to them as appropriate
- Provide consultancy support to the Nigeria team in embedding global knowledge-sharing practices (tools & techniques), facilitating the process of using them in particular to ensure effective records management and information governance
- Support the Nigeria team in maintaining their SharePoint sites
- Support the Nigeria Executive Team to develop a Knowledge Management Strategy for the operation
- Keep up to date with relevant Knowledge Management initiatives in partner organizations and project teams
Training, Awareness, and Audit:
- Support learning and development, conducting training/workshops to develop relevant behaviors and skills in managers and teams to manage their business information effectively
- Work closely with teams to develop appropriate training and/or briefing for partners and consultants in relevant areas of Information Governance and Knowledge Management
- Conduct agreed on pre-audit checks and full audits across the operation and report findings to the Nigeria Executive Team
- Keep updated on technology developments that impact the business e.g. CRM
Personal and Professional Development and Cross-Team Working:
- Keep updated professionally in the IKM specialist and related areas
- Keep updated on relevant Nigerian and UK law
- Take an active role in IKM networking events in Nigeria and the wider Region if called upon
- Develop and maintain connections with the information community within the British Council
- Enhance the British Council’s reputation by communicating relevant developments to British Council teams (UK, regional and country-based) and to external partners, as appropriate
Role-specific knowledge and experience:
- Degree in any area of Information Science, preferably Information and/or Records Management
- Minimum 5 years of advisory-level experience in data protection, records management, knowledge management and freedom of information policy work
- Pay Band – 6
- Remuneration: NGN 10,989,828.00
- Contract Type – Indefinite Contract
- Location – Lagos or Abuja, Nigeria
- Additional information
- The post holder will be expected to travel within Nigeria and regionally. As with any business that experiences peaks and troughs of activity, there is likely to be a need to work outside office hours from time to time.
- Language requirements: Strong written and oral English communication skills.
- The role holder must have existing rights to live and work in the country the role is based.
A connected and trusted UK in a more connected and trusted world.
Equality , Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Statement
The British Council is committed to policies and practices of equality, diversity and inclusion across everything we do. We support all staff to make sure their behaviour is consistent with this commitment. We want to address under representation and encourage applicants from under-represented groups, in particular, but not exclusively, on grounds of ethnicity and disability. All disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria are guaranteed an interview and we have Disability Confident Employer Status. We welcome discussions about specific requirements or adjustments to enable participation and engagement in our work and activities.
The British Council is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults who we work with.
We believe that all children and adults everywhere in the world deserve to live in safe environments and have the right to be protected from all forms of abuse, maltreatment and exploitation as set out in article 19, UNCRC (United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child) 1989.
Appointment to positions where there is direct involvement with vulnerable groups will be dependent on thorough checks being completed; these will include qualification checks, reference checks, identity & criminal record checks in line with legal requirements and with the British Council’s Safeguarding policies for Adults and Children.
Please note: Applications to this role can only be considered when made through the Apply section of our careers website. Our ‘ASK HR’ email is only to be used in case of a technical issue encountered when applying through the careers website. Emails with supporting statements and CV/Resumes sent to this email address will not be reviewed and will be deleted.