Associate – Legal
Position : Associate- Legal
Reporting into : Senior Associate – Legal
Business/Function : Legal and S&P
Purpose of the role :
We are looking for a talented lawyer to support our dynamic, aggressive and fast paced work environment digital business of Culver Max Entertainment Private Limited ( formerly known as Sony Pictures Networks India Private Limited) – Sony LIV along with data protection compliances for the company.
Key Result Areas:
The role demands for the lawyer to wear different hats and be responsible for a diverse range of licensing, commissioning, underlying works, technology, partnership, bundling, sales, gaming, marketing, regulatory and pre-litigation aspects with key focus on data protection. In order to achieve the foregoing mentioned tasks, the relevant lawyer would be required to work closely with the Commercial and Business teams, respectively and provide constant support in the best interest of the organisation.
- Handling documentations and negotiations pertaining to:
- Licensing (in & out);
- Content and app distribution;
- Subscriptions (wallets, bundling, coupons, etc.);
- Payment gateways;
- Production – Commissioning, co-production, and underlying works;
- Due diligences;
- Sales (direct, volume discounts, etc.);
- Several ancillary services.
- Advising the business team on various Legal and Commercial issues pertaining to the transactions in terms of, rights procurement, embargos on monetization, scope of intellectual property and other contractual rights and obligations.
- Deployment of appropriate processes and practices in line with industry best practices and for streamlining the business.
- Pre-litigation documentations such as notices and responses to notices pertaining to LIV.
- Preparation of submissions to draft rules & bills, policy papers, consultation papers, etc., issued by Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MEITY), Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB), Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) (OTT related), etc.
- Assist in collaborating with Indian Broadcasting and Digital Foundation (IBDF), Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and other independent bodies.
- With LIV’s presence in various international territories, handling privacy matters for LIV including but not limited to ensuring compliance with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR);
- Reviewing and updating the privacy policies, cookie policies, FAQs and TOUs of LIV in line with the privacy laws in various international geographies like Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, etc, and requirement of the business teams;
- Updating the privacy policies and TOUs on the channel websites like SET, SAB, PIX, etc. along with microsite terms and conditions;
- Advising and preparing necessary documentations such as DPA, SCC pertaining to processing of personal data, pertaining to employees, agencies, vendors, customers, contestants, participants, etc.;
- Reviewing and facilitating approval of record of processing activities (RoPA) MIS in accordance with GDPR.
- Advising the various teams on privacy related compliances vis a vis contests, activities;
- Preparing responses to consultation papers, discussion papers pertaining to privacy issued by the government from time to time;
- Keeping abreast with privacy developments in India and internationally along with ensuring compliance, to the extent applicable.
Educational & Work Experiences / Key Requirements:
- LL.B. (undergraduate law degree) from a recognized university in India.
- PQE of 2-5 years of legal experience (with several years of experience at leading global law firm(s) and/or in-house at a major multinational corporations), preferably with some portion of that experience in commercial transactions and intellectual property issues.
- 1–2 years in the Media & Entertainment Industry (more specifically in the OTT space).
- Candidate with prior experience in data protection & privacy laws will be preferred, but it’s not mandatory.
Critical Competencies: Behavioural
- Strategic thinker balanced with a grasp of details. Must possess the ability to switch between execution and strategy mode most effortlessly.
- Ability to prioritize and cope with competing demands. Must possess a sense of urgency and excellent execution and project management skills.
- Passion for results and excellence.
- Must be able to get the job done by working collaboratively with others.
- Inquisitive and analytical mind; out-of-the-box thinking; bring a creative perspective to business problems applying functional expertise, business understanding and common sense.
Critical Competencies: Technical
- Should have knowledge of the media rights.
- Ability to understand the digital business.
- Good presentation skills and must be well versed with technology and processes.
Other Personal Characteristics:
The applicant must be bright, quick, and a team player who also possesses independence of thought and opinion to provide candour and honesty to support and influence key business decisions. Must have authenticity to establish quality relationships across the organization through the highest levels of professionalism, ethics and mutual respect. Personal traits which will make one an ideal candidate for the position are:
- Straightforward, professional and polished.
- Team player.
- Excellent communicator.
- A do-it-yourself orientation, consistent with the company’s “roll-up the-sleeves” culture
- Keep the team abreast with the legal developments pertaining to media and entertainment industry.
- Is a balanced individual capable of developing creative solutions while anticipating and mitigating risks.
- Has business acumen and is a strategic thinker.
- Is an independent thinker and assertive. Can voice his/her opinion and challenge status quo in a professional manner.
Culver Max Entertainment Private Limited is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Why join us?
Culver Max Entertainment Private Limited is home to some of India’s leading entertainment channels such as SET, SAB, MAX, PAL, PIX, Sony BBC Earth, Yay!, Sony Marathi, Sony SIX, Sony TEN, Sony TEN1, SONY Ten2, SONY TEN3, SONY TEN4, to name a few!
Our foray into the OTT space with one of the most promising streaming platforms, Sony LIV brings us one step closer to being a progressive digitally-led content powerhouse.
Our independent production venture- Studio Next has already made its mark with original content and IPs for TV and Digital Media.
But our quest to Go Beyond doesn’t end there. Neither does our search to find people who can take us there.
We focus on creating an inclusive and equitable workplace where we celebrate diversity with our Bring Your Own Self Philosophy and are recognised as a Great Place to Work.
– Great Place to Work – Ranked as one of the Great Places to Work for since 5 years
– Included in the Hall of Fame as a part of the Working Mother & Avtar Best Companies for Women in India study- Ranked amongst 100 Best Companies for Women In India
– ET Human Capital Awards 2021- Winner across multiple categories
– Brandon Hall Group HCM Excellence Award – Outstanding Learning Practices.
The biggest award of course is the thrill our employees feel when they can Tell Stories Beyond the Ordinary!
To apply for this job please visit in.indeed.com.