Full Job Description
MediaNama is looking to hire a Sub Editor with journalism and/or sub-editing experience to work with our existing team of technology policy reporters. This is a specialised field, so please do read the post below, before applying, and please follow the application process detailed below.
We’re a leading online media company providing analysis and news on developments in Digital/Technology Policy. We provide our readership of policy leaders, business leaders, government officials, lawyers and citizens with incisive inputs on Indian and global technology policy developments across the digital industry, with a primary focus on India. We organise discussions with our community of policy professionals, and produce reports on subjects relevant for a technology policy audience.
Editing and subbing:
- Writing, rewriting, editing and proofreading text, and take overall responsibility for maintaining high standards of subbing in the team.
- Follow our sub-editing checklist and ensure that all aspects in that checklist are addressed adequately.
- Checking facts to ensure stories are accurate, adhere to copyright laws and are not libellous.
- Edit copy for varying lengths and adhere to various platform-specific guidelines.
- Ensure that basic standards of SEO and tagging are followed for enhancing discovery
- Ensure that the output adheres to the house style and standards of our publication
- Deputise for the editor and, allocate work to the team, check progress, and ensure the professional contribution of staff and the quality of output.
- Evaluate story pitches
- Guide the team in terms of improving quality of output and provide value for MediaNama readers.
- Spotting and recommending high impact stories to the editorial team
- Documenting performance of individual team members
What we’re looking for
Cultural fit: MediaNama’s journalists care about the open Internet, and are keen on learning about the latest technology policy trends and perspectives. We are geeky about technology policy. We have an eye for news and a desire to get the news first. We enjoy engaging with and helping each other out with stories, information and perspectives. What matters most to us, is that MediaNama’s community of readers benefit from our work, and learn from the conversations they have with our journalists. We like the work that we do, and take great pride in it, and the impact that it has on the domain that we cover.
Location: You will be expected to work with our team in our office in (North) Delhi.
- 2+ years of experience in a daily newsroom as a sub editor.
- Preference will be given to candidates with online work experience.
- Some experience in reporting on technology. Experience in understanding legal, policy and/or financial documents and filings is preferred.
- Interested in policy developments related to Internet access, commerce, communications, social media, telecom, digital payments, e-governance, global Internet governance etc. You need to be passionate about this domain and how it impacts the world.
- Should be following social, political, economic issues of the country on a day today basis.
- A high standard of Editorial judgment and writing ability based on substantial experience of editing news stories and features.
- A team-player with exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to resolve conflicts, and willingness to get the job done.
- Excellent project and time management skills, ability to multi-task and ensure tasks are completed on time
- Excellent command of the English language.
- You need to have basic working knowledge of HTML, and familiarity with WordPress.
- Comfort with working cross-platform, whether Slack, WhatsApp and/or phone calls.
- Your own laptop with a functional webcam and audio setup
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: ₹30,000.00 – ₹50,000.00 per month
- Day shift
To apply for this job please visit in.indeed.com.