Trainee Train Driver
Full Job Description
GBRf are seeking bilingual French/English speakers to train to become a Train Driver.
The role of Train Manager at GB Railfreight (GBRf) is critical to our business to ensure we provide our customers with a best-in-class service at all times. Our Train Managers are empowered to take responsibility for the delivery of the key activities on the front line, this encapsulates the need to always be conscious of, and operate with, the highest regard to safety.
We are seeking a highly professional, motivated and safety conscious individual who leads by example and exhibits the core values of GBRf.
As a Trainee Train Manager, you will join our South East team and support GBRf in our commitment to deliver a safe, reliable and best in class service to our customers.
If you meet the criteria you will be invited to an interview and if successful, asked to attend a train driving medical.
The training for trainee train drivers is comprehensive and includes regular in-depth assessments throughout. It is led by our Operations Standards and Training Department in Peterborough and you will be expected to lodge there Monday to Friday for a substantial part of your training.
Selected applicants must be available to complete the classroom training without disruption for 12 weeks (this means no annual leave).
If you do not meet the stringent criteria of the Train driving training programme, you will unfortunately be removed from the course.
- Applicants should have successfully passed their train driver psychometric assessment within the past 5 years. If you have failed part of your assessment within the last 6 months, you will be unable to apply for this position on this occasion.
- You must live in close proximity (within 60 minutes) of Folkestone (or be willing to relocate)
- You must be over the age of 21 with a clean UK car drivers licence.
- You must pass a full TDLC (train driving) railway medical ahead of the training course.
- Fluent in both English and French
- Proficient with IT packages such as Word, Outlook and ability to download applications on iPads.
- Safety conscious and calm attitude in the event of an emergency situation.
- Excellent concentration and observational skills.
- Clear and professional communication skills to relay important safety messages.
- Customer-focused with excellent problem solving skills.
The salary whilst training is £24,279 per annum. Training consists of 12 weeks in classroom followed by around 225 handling hours. Overall the training takes on average 10-12 months and you would be on the training salary throughout. Following completion of training and working the first productive turn, the salary increases to 80% of the full train drivers’ rate, increasing to the full driver rate after 6 months.
In this role you will liaise with both UK and French based Rail Operaters, Signallers and Contractors to ensure customer requirements are met and trains arrive on time.
A flexible attitude to working hours is required due to this being a shift-based role working a nominal 35 hour week, with overseas travel as part of the day to day role
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £24,279.00-£62,739.00 per year
- Company pension
- Language training provided
- Private medical insurance
- Sick pay
- Wellness programme
- Day shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Folkestone, Kent: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- FRENCH (required)
To apply for this job please visit uk.indeed.com.