Providence Child Development Society
General Maintenance Technician
Full Job Description
General Maintenance Technician
Specialized Programs and Services to Support the Development of Young Children
Providence is a vibrant, registered charity with a long-established history of providing therapeutic and
educational services to families across our 6 schools and childcare facilities in Calgary and surrounding
area. Our programs are designed to support young children who may not be meeting typical
developmental milestones. Providence provides the opportunity to enhance the health and development
of children and their families.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated individual to join our Maintenance Department as a General
This position is responsible for the monitoring, preventative maintenance and general servicing of heating,
cooling, plumbing systems as well as various manual, unskilled, and skilled tasks as required in maintaining the
school buildings and grounds at all locations. Duties will vary according to the need to ensure the building and
grounds are safe, clean and in good working order (such things as year-round grounds keeping, interior and
exterior building maintenance, compacting, light construction, demolition and general building revitalization).
It is an expectation at Providence that all employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition
- Competitive salary range
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits package which includes optional RESP contributions,
wellness days, appointment time and paid sick time.
- Free onsite parking
- Employee Assistance Plan.
- Professional development allowance for ongoing learning and career advancement.
- Regular work hours are: 8:00a.m.-4:00p.m., Monday to Friday as well as scheduled overtime and 24- hour
on call/ emergency hours during evenings and weekends as required.
The ideal candidate:
- Has knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of buildings.
- Has knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair and maintenance.
- Has general knowledge of Microsoft including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to work well under pressure, meeting deadlines and prioritizing competing demands.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) and ability to work both on a team and independently.
- Takes initiative and is able to prioritize and be a quick learner.
- Must be flexible to work scheduled overtime and emergency hours.
- This position requires working in multiple sites and requires driving within Calgary.
- Maintenance of the air conditioning, refrigeration systems, heating systems, and boilers at all site locations
- Minor renovations, playground and garden upkeep, plumbing repairs and carpentry
- Perform tasks involving physical labor and construction projects, and general building maintenance
- Operate hand and power tools of all types
- Loads and unloads trucks and hauls and hoists materials
- Grounds keeping and yard maintenance at all site locations
- High School Diploma
- 5th Class Power Engineer’s Certificate of Competency
- Minimum of 4 years’ varied experience working in facility or building maintenance.
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s license, must be willing to work towards class 4. You will also be required to submit a
- Occupational Health and Safety Experience, including knowledge of codes.
- Personal suitability NOTE: This position entails performing physical activities that require considerable use
of your arms and legs and moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping,
and handling of materials. The ability to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull, or carry objects.
Must be able to lift at least 25 kg.
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.